Author Topic: DATA LOGGER  (Read 30202 times)

saif

DATA LOGGER
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:20:02 pm »
hi, i have been given a project where i have to log sensor data such as temp with a micro and send it to a PC using ethernet.. the prob is im completely new to networking. iv been tryin findin references for this sub on net but i just couldnt comprehend them coz most articles either advertised their readymade ethernet boards or provided a Hebrew like source code with no explanation:)
; until i kam across an abstract of ur book "embedded ethernet".. i must say i cud grasp atleast a rough overview abt networking..
now issue is that i have to send the data to a PC nd display it on a GUI,nothing fancier.. i need not worry about sharing info on internet. i could have done it using USB but iv been given an option of oly ethernet in the project..
in view of this can i communicate directly from the application level to ethernet? should i even worry abt TCP/IP coz im not usin internet at al... its just point to point commn on a local netw..
Well im a complete beginner so any help wud be highly appreciated...

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: DATA LOGGER
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:01 pm »
For TCP/IP or UDP programming on a PC in .NET, see the System.Net.Sockets namespace.

For the microcontroller programming, the XPort server from lantronix is one way to do it quickly. (Other companeis have similar devices.)

Jan

saif

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:52 am »
is it possible to send data using raw ethernet packets,without higher level protocols  and let an appln on PC decode it?  i dont want to net enable my device. its just point to point communication betw my embedded system and PC..

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:58:05 pm »
TCP/IP or UDP don't require an Internet connection and are likely your best bet for this.

Jan

SopayVoryrave

• fishing
DATA LOGGER
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:23:48 am »
Has anyone on here used the Fast Dash/Data logger? Im really interested in it for my car because I would like to be able to see all the XFI info while driving the car and not have to look at a lap top. Also, there website is not very informative. Does it come with a type of vehicle speed sensor and is there anyway to make a fuel level work on it? If anyone has used this let me know how you like it beofore I drop 850 for it. Thanks guys.
Off topic, I'm a happy owner of
http://www.ps2netdrivers.net/manual/belkin.f6d4230-4/
:-D

ydsjhb

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »
TCP/IP or UDP don't require an Internet connection and are likely your best bet for this.

Sonnenbrille Armani Herren