Author Topic: Non stanard baud rates  (Read 17855 times)

Philtkp

Non stanard baud rates
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:52 pm »
Hi,
I've been reading through you book. Ive been able to make a small terminal so i can communicate and configure my xbee modules. so far i can comunicate at 9600,19200, 38400 and 57600 baud rates. What I need to do is communicate at 62500 baud so i can reset my xbee module back to its defaults as need be. I can set the module to 62500 using "atbd F424" but then I'm unable to comunicate with the module to return it to its defaults. I works great with my home made remote controller and robot. I know it's a non standard buad rate. but I'm unable to find much information on this subject. I'm using visual basic express 2010. any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Phil

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Non stanard baud rates
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »
Are you sure you successfully set the baud rate on the PC to 62500? The port's driver has to support that setting. See Windows Device Manager > Port Settings for supported baud rates.

Jan

Philtkp

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:01 pm »
I was able to set the baud rate only on the module, after that im unable to communicate with the module . The PC part is what Im not understanding. It dosent show 62500 in device manager.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:16:27 pm »
Then it's likely not an option.

Jan

GlennP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:22:41 am »
Umm, I have had issues with hardware that don't like standard Baudrates.   The Xbee device you use used for the remote can you track down the manufacture of it as they might have a non standard driver for the hardware, it sounds like they were aiming for 115200 but some thing got sticky so they went as fast as they could.  If you really do need to communicate at 62500 there is an old (I Mean old!) ocx called MHComm or MHCom32 that you can look for I haven't used it .NET2 only VB6 & Borland Builder C++6 you can give it non-standard baud rates such as 9550 useful for debugging and thats about all.  I am sure that there is another way have a better look in the documentation.

Glenn :)       

Philtkp

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:11:39 am »
I think I'm a bit confused. I might misunderstood what I read. This is where i read the information that made me think it could be done. It was on the VBFORUMS.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »
Did you try using Windows API functions to set a non-standard baud rate as described in that post?

Jan

Philtkp

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:03 pm »
Jan,
I got really confused and wasn't able to understand it
 :-[
Phil

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »
And that's why you came here!

This article has some explanation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810467.aspx#serial_topic6

but it will take some doing to port the code to .NET.

Also see:

http://www.mev.co.uk/pages/Support/VB-Baud.html

It's VB6 code but should be mostly portable to .NET.

Jan

Philtkp

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:09:09 pm »
And that's why you came here!

You bet ;D. You helped me out on a USB issue I was having a while back.
Now here I'am jumping into the deep end of the pool again.. I'll read through these and see if i can confuse myself some more.

Thank you
Phil