Author Topic: MaxADClite Kit from Maxim  (Read 16634 times)

Georgiana

MaxADClite Kit from Maxim
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:10:29 pm »
Hi,

I got a MaxADClite evaluation board that has built in firmware and it plugs in the computer via a mini-USB port:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/7139

The board has 3 interfaces i2c, spi, usb. I am familiar with the first 2, but not so much with usb.

The board comes with a testing software, but I need to build my own. I have two IDE options: Labview and Visual Studio. My first attempt was to do it with Labview, using NI-VISA. Thus I was able to get enumeration information from the device, but nothing else, no reads or writes. So I am giving it a try with Visual Studio.

Here are my observations so far:

The device is HID, and it doesnt require a driver when I run the app software provided by Maxim.

I ran the WinUSB_cs solution in Visual Studio 2010, on a Vista and I get "device not found".

I also used an USB analyser, and I got VID, PID etc.

Any suggestions or questions are welcomed.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:26:13 pm by Georgiana »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: MaxADClite not found
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »
If it's a generic HID (not a system keyboard or mouse), see my Generic HID example:

http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm#MyExampleCode

Jan

Georgiana

Re: MaxADClite not found
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »
The device is detected by the generic Hid solution in Visual Studio, but just like in Labview, it is not able to read. I get "The attempt to read a report timed out" (similar error I get in Labview).

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Georgiana

ps: I am starting to think there should be a trigger (maybe an interrupt) for the firmware to do its thing, but at the moment I dont see it. On the MaxADClite datasheet I see an interrupt pin USBINT shared by the the RISC microcontroller and the USB Peripheral Controller. (page 4)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:44:40 pm by Georgiana »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: MaxADClite Kit from Maxim
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:24:21 pm »
If the vendor doesn't provide documentation for the protocol used, monitor the traffic when using the provided software. For example, if the application sends a command to tell the system to start taking data, you will need to do the same in your software. 

Jan

Georgiana

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:59 am »
The vendor replied and his reply started with: "We currently do not have capability of connecting the board with Labview"... and ended with..." we are using such and such because the current library for USB is built for that ...."

Disappointing, but Im not giving up.

Guido Koerber

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11:21 pm »
The MAX11645 is an I2C chip. You could kick the USB chip from Maxim and replace it with a solution that works with Labview. IO-Warrior does.

Georgiana

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:33:41 pm »
My end user likes the USB. This is just a side project, more like a favor, I got other stuff keeping me busy.

Guido Koerber

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:14 pm »
My suggestion is to replace the USB chip by another USB chip that actually works with LabView.

Georgiana

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:46:14 pm »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess I could do that. Got any suggestions?

Guido Koerber

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:11 am »
IO-Warrior

Georgiana

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 01:40:17 pm »
Duh, you included it in your initial reply, but since I had no idea, I didnt see it. My appologies, as I said I am new with USB communication. I am giving that a rest for now, since a FTDI chip was recently thrown my way, FT2232H module, it also has a mini USB, I'm going to play with it for a while. If I get stuck, I know where to look for help (grin)

vanweric

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »