Author Topic: Info in Flash Memory Controller  (Read 10780 times)

chuvi

Info in Flash Memory Controller
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:29:03 pm »
Hello,
I want to solve some tasks, but I don't know right answers. My question is what kind of information store in flash memory controller besides VendorID and ProductID?

My main goal is learning behavior of operating system when USB Flash plugged and unplugged. I think OS or USB controller driver send some information to Flash Controller (e.g. address in USB Hub). I want to know where this information stored? And what kind of information OS send to flash controller? And can I get this info after USB Flash unplugged?

Can someone helps me or shows another way?

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Info in Flash Memory Controller
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »
On attachment, the OS enumerates a USB device.

Learn about that here:

http://www.lvr.com/usbcenum.htm

For drives, the mass-storage driver sends additional commands to learn about the device.

Learn about that here:

http://www.lvr.com/mass_storage.htm

Jan

chuvi

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:21:59 am »
Thanks for your reply, your articles are very useful for me.

But my research is a little harder. I must answer to the question: Does Windows writes to the flash card, while working with it, some information that I could identify this host or Windows?

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:19 am »
The host OS reads and writes to files on the drive. The host doesn't write any information about itself unless you provide an application that writes the information to a file on the drive. Why do you need this information on the drive?

Jan

chuvi

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:44:17 am »
Jan, great thanks!

I need it becouse it's my study, student research. I think that host OS writes additional information about itself with USB commands or in Configuration Mode. And I want to read this info.

And what about USB address assigned when OS enumerates devices? Where this address stored?

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:57:14 am »
During enumeration, the host sends a Set_Configuration command that contains a configuration number. The device uses the number to select the configuration to use. There is no standard location where a device stores its current configuration number or its bus address. The implementation varies with the device hardware. The host has no standard way of reading this information from the device and no reason to do so because the host sets the configuration and the address.

Jan

Guido Koerber

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:06:09 am »
The data written to a memory device depends on the file system being used, not on the operating system. File system implementations may vary somewhat between OSs and version, but since there is no room for variations in the data written to the storage device you could only check for specific sequences of operations, which are also likely very similar.

So the short answer is: No, there is no reliable information you could use to identify which type of host OS is using the device.