Author Topic: USB/parallel bidirectional support  (Read 12685 times)

tango

USB/parallel bidirectional support
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:54:03 am »
Back in 1998 I had my Amiga connected to the PC via a parallel cable wired like the attached, and I could transfer data. This used to work fine when PCs had "real" parallel ports. I am wondering if this might still be possible (with an old Amiga, still only parallel as "high speed" option), but using these current inexpensive USB-parallel adapters on the PC side, of which you see so many on Amazon, etc. Are they all the same under the hood, or are there some chip or other differences that a worthy of knowledge?

For example, this one claims "Bi-directional parallel interface communication (IEEE 1284)"

I see that most of these devices say they do not even need a driver. I am willing to write some code, but I wonder if Windows 10 supports them in a way that will allow API-level bidirectional I/O?

More importantly, is the hardware on these "adapters" really bidirectional enough to support a Laplink-like data transfer connection, or is that barely enough to detect a "paper out" status?

Thanks!

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: USB/parallel bidirectional support
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:06:01 am »
The USB/parallel-port adapters that I'm aware of are designed for use only with printers. They contain a USB device that converts between the USB and parallel interfaces. The device identifies itself as a printer, so it won't work if attached to another device type.

If the Amiga has a serial port, and if you have Amiga software that can transfer data using that port, you should be able to use a serial-to-USB cable on a PC to receive the data (may require some programming on the PC).

tango

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:48:49 am »
Thank you for your response. I know about serial and TCP/IP options (e.g. Amiga Explorer), but I am researching the parallel port side, and specifically wanted to learn more about these modern and inexpensive USB-parallel devices, since they claim to be "bidirectional".

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 05:10:31 pm »
Only in the sense of receiving printer status information, in my experience.

towlerg

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 06:26:53 am »
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW/