Author Topic: Win 7 64bit and WinUSB-cs  (Read 12028 times)

RCauthon

Win 7 64bit and WinUSB-cs
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:30 pm »
I have a USB DAQ that I have been producing for some time under WinXP, but with WinXP going obsolete and Win7 64bit becomming the standard replacement I have to evolve with the times.

My ultimate goal is to create a driver for my USB device for Win 7 64 bit. I have started by using the Microchip PICDEM FS USB Demo Board and Jan Axelson's WinUSB-cs  desktop application and WinUSB generic driver firmware application. Win 7 64 bit won't let me install the driver manually, I don't really know where the driver is located but Win 7 won't even let me look for it. When I run hdwwiz.exe (which is a program close to the XP way of installing USB drivers) the WinUSB Demo device is not available for selection.

After the automated driver installation process fails in the hardware manager I can see the device WinUSB Demo, but the system won't let me manually install a driver for it.

What do I need to do to get USB comms with the WinUSB Demo? Does the newest edition of Jan Axelson's USB Complete cover building drivers for Win7 64bit, or are there any commercial products available that can be used?

The biggest hurdle I think I have identified is the requirement for a digital signiture.

Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appreciated.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Win 7 64bit and WinUSB-cs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:49 am »
Do you have an INF file for the device? You should point the wizard to that.

Jan

RCauthon

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:40:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply, you must be incredibly busy, and for the push in the right direction.

I found the inf in the project folder of the Visual Studio program you provide for distribution, and I figured out how to update the driver from the hardware manager screen. The system now says it found a driver but there is a "file not found" error so the driver installation does not complete.

I'll keep combing the inf until I find the file it is missing.

Thanks again!

RCauthon

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:49:07 am »
I finally got back on this project, figured out that the folder which holds the driver files has to be named either \i386 or \amd64. This is pretty clear from the .inf file:

; ================= Source Media Section =====================

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\i386

[SourceDisksNames.amd64]
2 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\amd64

[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll=1
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll=1
WUDFUpdate_01007.dll=1

[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll=2
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll=2
WUDFUpdate_01007.dll=2

but it took me awhile to figure it out. ;)

RCauthon

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:30:58 pm »
Just want to say thank you for the example code, the .inf ect. I have my Win 7 DAQ almost complete now, the assistance you have provided is very much appreciated!

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:44 pm »
Glad to hear of your progress! Happy to help.

Jan