Author Topic: Microphone as an audio device  (Read 5365 times)

jan

Microphone as an audio device
« on: June 29, 2018, 09:20:03 am »
Hello,

I am trying to implement a microphone as an audio device using FT900. I am building upon their USB Audio output example and the steps so far that I've taken were to set the endpoint to IN and flipped the Terminal to have Microphone - Input Terminal and USB Streaming - Output Terminal. My device does get enumerated and USBView does not report any issues but Device Manager says "This device cannot start (Code 10)". Sound settings do not show a microphone at all.

I've made sure to check my descriptors against official documentation but I have not found anything incriminating. I am kind of lost on where to search for an issue because I would think that Descriptors and Endpoints are the important bits.

Also, how useful would a protocol analyser be in my case? I've been putting it off as I consider this a small project but my boss would be willing to buy it if it makes sense.

Lastly, if you have a recommendation for a better Audio device platform, I am all ears. Currently trying out FT900, LPC54114 and PCM2904 but nothing has been straightforward so far.

Kind regards,
Jan

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research

jan

Re: Microphone as an audio device
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:30:28 pm »
Thank you very much! I'll look into it ASAP!

jan

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:50:05 am »
Start here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/setupapi-logging--windows-vista-and-later-

Morning,

I've looked into the link you've posted. I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to be looking for but digging around in setupAPI.dev.log, I've found a strange entry.

Code: [Select]
     dvi:                     Install Device: Configuring device class. 08:26:22.870
     dvi:                     Install Device: Configuring device class completed. 08:26:22.880
     dvi:                     Device Status: 0x01802400, Problem: 0x1 (0xc0000493)
     dvi:                     Install Device: Starting device 'USB\VID_0403&PID_0FD5&MI_00\6&15BD73B6&0&0000'. 08:26:22.883
     dvi:                     Install Device: Starting device completed. 08:26:22.900
!!!  dvi:                     Device not started: Device has problem: 0x0a (CM_PROB_FAILED_START), problem status: 0xc0000225.

It says device start was completed but then it claims that it is not started. I am not sure if this is significant at all.

Here is a pastebin for the install log: https://pastebin.com/r1Q7d9Sa

I'll see if I can dig up more stuff

Jan

Edit:

I've also tried WireShark to see if I can get anything but I couldn't find anything suspicious. Let me know if you want the WS file.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:28:01 am by jan »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 11:29:17 am »
The log says the device configured successfully, which indicates the descriptors are likely OK.

But the driver was unable to communicate with device.

Code 10 (CM_PROB_FAILED_START)
Indicates that the device did not start for some reason, but the I/O Manager attempted to start it with a set of resources. (Corresponds to DNF_START_FAILED.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/device-manager-problem-codes

A protocol analyzer would show what communication attempts were made and how the device responded. The wireshark PNG you posted shows various requests following Set Configuration (Get Descriptor, Set Interface) but not the results of the requests.