Author Topic: HID Help  (Read 11062 times)

Brewerswin28

HID Help
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:24:11 pm »
Hello Jan,

I am a student at UW-Milwaukee and I am trying to better understand communication with Humin Interface Devices.  I downloaded your example code "Generic HID" for VB.Net from your website www.lvr.com in the "The HID Page".  I am just testing to see if the program works correctly by trying to detect various devices.  I got the VID and PID from the device manager in my control panel and entered the hex values into the proper fields.  Unfortunately, when I click on the "Find My Device" button, it always displays "device not found".  I was just wondering if I need to configure a certain port, or if I am possibly doing something wrong.  Perhaps there is more that I need to do with this sample code than just plug in the device, ID's and click the button.  Hopefully you can help me out with this. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: HID Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:27:56 pm »
My generic HID examples detect HID-class devices that are not system keyboards or mice. It's designed mainly to exchange 2-byte reports with compatible devices. (See my HID page for device firmware.) What devices are you trying to access?

Jan

Brewerswin28

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »
The device that i would eventually like to connect to is a AT90USB24 chip.  I need to write a pc app to communicate with it.  At this point, all i want to be able to do is recognize that the device is plugged in to the USB port.

Brewerswin28

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »
correction: it is an AT90USB162

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 05:21:18 pm »
You need to program the device with HID firmware. See:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc7599.pdf