Author Topic: What goes on behind the curtain when Win7 brings up a Ethernet-over-USB network?  (Read 6417 times)

st2000

Hi,

I would like to test my firmware-hardware which is supposed to look like a Ehternet-over-USB Device.  But it appears that I first need to make Win7 think it is a good network before Win7 will allow anything (i.e. WireShark) to connect to the network which is connected to my firmware-hardware.

Talk about a chicken-egg-chicken problem!

What would help is to know what Win7 is looking for.  How Win7 is bringing up the network.  I thought all I needed was to report that the Ethernet portion of the connection was available and that it had a speed of 10 (i.e. 10Mbps).  But so far when I plug in my firmware-hardware the Win7 box brings up a "Disabled" network that will not support test application connecting to it.  Worse, I think Win7 does not go through the same procedure with each attempt.  Sometimes it takes longer.  And sometimes I have seen descriptions other than "Disabled" appear.  But ultimately the description has always settled on "Disabled".

-thanks

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:52:45 am by st2000 »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research

st2000

The setupapi.dev.log might have useful information. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff550900%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Which sent me to look at my "c:/Windows/inf/setupapi.dev.log" file.  Which is great!  But there's a lot of information in there and after plowing through it I can not say I see a problem.  Admittedly I'm guessing at a number of things.  But was able to find mention of the driver's name and the Windows assigned network name.  As to not seeing a problem, I'm guessing that since the network has been created, the driver and network creation has gone off w/o a hitch.  And that Windows has assigned the description "Disabled" for other reasons after the creation of the USB/CDC based network.

-thanks

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Sounds logical. Something went wrong when the OS tried to use the device.