Author Topic: Verification USB2.0 & USB3.0  (Read 12273 times)

winsonlcc

Verification USB2.0 & USB3.0
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »
Hi,

I'm new at here. Not sure it is a correct place to ask the question below.
I'm a developer for testing HDD by using C++ in Linux environement.
The HDD is attach with USB3.0 interpose card which can support USB2.0 & 3.0 speed.
But we found out some of the interpose card failure which only can support thru USB2.0. We don't want to ship the part to customer only support USB2.0 although the label is show USB3.0 compliance.

It there any simple C++ command code to verify the USB device to check whther it support USB2.0 and USB3.0?
What the command code i need to use in libusb library?

Thanks and your help is very much appreciate.

Regards,
Winson

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Verification USB2.0 & USB3.0
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »
By "interpose card," do you mean USB 3.0 interface card inside the PC?

If so, are you saying that when you attach USB 3.0 drives to ports on some USB interface cards, the drives only operate at high speed (USB 2.0)?

If so, are these cards sold as USB 3.0 cards or do you want to know how to tell if any USB port supports USB 3.0?

What OS?

winsonlcc

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »
HI Jan,

Thanks for the reply.
Let me explain the problem.
We are doing harddisk screening. The interface for the harddisk is SATA. The drive is use for external storage for USB3.0. So the USB3.0 connector is attach with harddisk PCBA board. That mean from SATA convert to USB3.0.

So when we want to test the drive, we will plug in the USB3.0 cable for test. The problem is some of the connector having some problem only can go to USB2.0 speed. So we would need to write a simple C code to check whether it can support up to USB3.0 or not in Redhat/fedora OS. Those cannot support USB3.0 speed will reject the HDD.

I had bought the book USB Complete Third Edition, still need sometime to digest. So hope can get faster solution at here. :-)
Thanks

Bret

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:01 am »
Your testing is probably going to need to be on a port-by-port basis.  I have an HP laptop just a few months old that has four external USB ports.  But, only one of the four ports is USB 3 -- the other three ports are only USB 2.  The USB 3 port is identified by being blue on the inside instead of black.  IOW, just because the computer in general supports USB 3 doesn't necessarily mean every port on the computer does.  And, it's going to be almost impossible to guarantee that the user will know for sure whether/which ports are USB 3, especially if there are external hubs involved.

Also, just from an overall design perspective, I think it's a bad idea to simply reject devices not attached at USB 3 speeds.  You'll probably create lots of unhappy customers if you do that.

winsonlcc

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:28:03 pm »
Hi Bret, I understand your words. But for my case is different. If from user point of view than I agree. :-)
We only want to make sure the HDD ship back to customer(Not user) is fully USB3.0 compliance.
Those HDD cannot support up to USB3.0 will be reject as scrap or will change the PCBA Card.

I just need a simple fast solution to check the connector whether the transfer rate is support USB3.0.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »
On attachment, dmesg will display the device speed and driver.