Author Topic: usb software  (Read 6472 times)

boots_n_braces

usb software
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes! im working my way through a project that requires usb interface for medium data transfers and simple output commands il be using ftdi's fifo chip with their vcp driver (unless anyone suggests otherwise). The problem ive got is im new to usb and new to windows programming (mcu and fpga experience) ive done some basic vb2010 programming to get a rough idea of whats what but im struggling with how i use the ftdi drivers to access my data? For a basic start it needs to go like this connect device to usb, open program and click upload. the data should be moved across from the usb device (how do i tell it were to put it?) then formatted as a csv file for later excel use.

So were do i begin? ;D Ive already looked at some books but not sure wether i need a book on vb or windows system programming to set me in the right direction?

Please help
harry

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: usb software
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »
If you're using the virtual COM port driver, you access the device in the same way you would access a device with a physical serial port.

See my example code here:

http://www.lvr.com/serport.htm#my_example_code

Jan