Author Topic: High Speed (hi-speed), Dual Port USB Mass Storage Question  (Read 8684 times)

OAC

High Speed (hi-speed), Dual Port USB Mass Storage Question
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:31 pm »
Hello all, I have been researching for a while, and came across Jan's very informative website. Was going to send Jan an email directly, but this seems to be the place to go for help..
Background:
I have a device prototype using the atmel UC3A3 processor to do high speed mass storage data transfer (including transforms) between a usb stick, and an SD memory card.
The prototype is working fine. Performance is good at approx 10MB/s write speed to the USB stick. Faster would be better however, but that is ok for now.

The data being copied is in raw sector form, and thus I am bypassing the file-system layer for optimum speed.

I would like to improve the functionality of the device by being able to let the device communicate between two usb mass storage devices, instead of one device and an sd card. I could then use a card reader if the SD is a requirement, and would be able to take advantage of much higher speeds when transferring between two high speed usb devices.

Question:
I don't believe I will be able to do this with the UC3A3. My question is how can I extend this functionality and  communicate with two usb devices by using (and/or adding hardware chips etc) to my current atmel software framework...
OR.
What other devices exist out there that would allow me to do this, noting that hi-speed is key.

I have looked at the Vinculum-II but this is much too slow, so I am thinking I will need to combine two separate high-speed hosts, and or add a dedicated second one to my existing setup.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?
I am also interested in anyone who can offer consulting services in this department to help speed things up.

Regards
OAC

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: High Speed (hi-speed), Dual Port USB Mass Storage Question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:25:02 pm »
I have links to embedded host hardware here:

http://www.janaxelson.com/embedded_host.htm

(Somehow I forgot Atmel, will add it.)

Maybe embedded Linux is the way to go.