Author Topic: PC utility for USB application  (Read 19023 times)

vikram_t80

PC utility for USB application
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:32:42 am »
Dear All,

I am trying to write software code in C to design a PC utility application. I have no experience or any idea in writing utility software.
The utility that I am trying to write should have couple of click buttons.
Well I have reached as far a showing the button icons on the utility.
The main button will be of selecting a file from the local drive and write the contents of those file to a location defined internally as pData pointer.

Can anyone help to let me know how to write such utility.

There is one application called Bus Hound which once the device is detected gives the option of load file.

But i am not able to find the source code for this utility.

Regards,
Vikram ???

GlennP

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PC utility for USB application
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:07:08 am »
Umm, are you trying to write a utility like Bus Hound as a starter, I think you could be in for a world of pain.  What system are you using ANSI C, C#, C++ or some exotic version of C.
If you have reaced the displaying ICON stage can you get them to respond to a click action? If so good. If you can give some details of what complier Microsoft, Borland etc I think I might be able to help.
Sorry best I can do with the info you supplied!

Glenn

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:48:47 pm »
You can write an application to read from a file without knowing anything about USB.

If you want to program in .NET, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd642420.aspx

See the File and Directory classes.

Or see any of the many other web pages, books, etc. that will teach you about PC programming.

Jan

vikram_t80

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:04 pm »
Dear GlennP,

Thanks for the response. Yes that's right I had actually come across Bus Hound application which gives the option of selecting the file and then writing that on the USB Hub window. I was even trying to find the code that is written for Bus Hound but did not get any success.
I am trying to do the same. Currently I am using ANSI C and the compiler that I am using is Keil uVision4 compiler.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram

GlennP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:09 pm »
Sorry, for the late reply have been very busy else where!  the Keil uVision is the compiler assembler for Siemens / Infineon (can't spell, late!) Microcontrolers rather than a Windows PC, are you trying to get the hardware or the Windows to work (should require no user intervention)?
Glenn