Author Topic: FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2)  (Read 11397 times)

WestfW

FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2)
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:00:04 am »
Are there any forums anywhere where there is informal discussion about programming and using FTDI's Vinculum-2 (VNC2) chips?
Has anyone here had experience with them?

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:12:39 am »
I would welcome Vinculum discussions here. I have a little experience with it.

Have you seen John Hyde's free ebook on the Vinculum:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalPublications/USBDesignByExample.htm

Jan

WestfW

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:42:58 am »
No, I hadn't noticed the Hyde book buried in the FTDI site.  Thanks!  Combined with your book, I should be off to a good start.

My immediate goal is to operate "half" of the VNC2 as a normal FTDI USB/Serial converter, and the other half as an SPI slave to USB Host gateway of increasingly generic nature.  Probably starting with something easy like USB Flash drives, but particularly trying to allow those cheap mass-produced USB peripherals (ethernet, WLAN, Bluetooth, IRDA, Flash, etc) to be used with microcontrollers.  I'm hoping the VNC2 is at least close to making that possible (why yes, I do want by 32k 8bit AVR to have a 256k/16bit peripheral!  Why not?!)

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »
The device classes with built-in support will be the easiest of course. Writing class drivers for the others will be more of a challenge.

Jan