Author Topic: programming serial ports using Java  (Read 11135 times)

cassoengca

programming serial ports using Java
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:26:18 am »
Hello people,

recently, i'm working with serial ports, using miscellaneous programming languanges. However, my recently need is develop an open source application that possibilities of comunication using serial ports. The best language that i finded is Java, for develop this application its comunication. Please, a need of tips for develop this application: use or do not use Java, what language i should use for manipulate these serial ports, and Java and serial ports? is possible?

Thanks.

Cassio de Moraes

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: programming serial ports using Java
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:27:03 am »
This should be doable with the Java Communications API. What language to use depends in part on what features and performance you need, what platforms or OSes you need to support, and what you're familiar with.

Jan

cassoengca

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
Ok.

thanks.

I find the API for Java Communications (java.comm) and i see some examples of applications. Very good, very good same!

i will develop application for Windows, for be used in lab enviroment (DAQ for control systems, as motor control, hidrogenionic potential control, level control, between others). My application must be have robustness (because i will use send/receive of signals and data, control using PID techniques, LGR, and, futurely, adaptative and robustness control). This application will be an educational program for digital control design. I do not see any application like this, done in Java enviroment... only in C, Visual Basic, and others. So, my ask and doubt. As for performance, and features, my need is real time control, DAQ in real time, lightness and development facilities. I domine Java, but, do not working with C for applications.

Thanks for reply.

Cassio

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:48:58 pm »
Windows is not a real-time operating system. However, you can use it for real-time tasks if external devices handle all of the critical timing. The PC can send commands, etc. and request the data collected by the devices.

Jan