Author Topic: VCP to HID conversion  (Read 3565 times)

Zom

VCP to HID conversion
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:56:36 pm »
For some years I have been accessing USB devices as VCPs from a long standing application set running on an Embedded XP platform, with much success. Sadly, a manufacturer has switched a device used by the set from a VCP to an HID interface 'USB Input Device'. The platform cannot interface with HID natively.

I have searched for a VCP to HID conversion utility/driver/service but cannot find one. Ideally I want to be able to access the HID device as a VCP seen by XP. The data communication with the device is trivial, being one or two bytes written, and one byte received every minute or so.

I am entirely prepared to do whatever legwork is required to achieve a solution, short of a complete platform rewrite, but before I commence, I
 would be grateful if someone could tell me if what I am aiming for is at all possible, and if it is what approach is the best to take.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: VCP to HID conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 09:33:36 pm »
On device enumeration, the Windows drivers use the information in the descriptors to assign a driver to the device. a HID's descriptors identify the device as a HID.

I believe one could write an application that communicates with the HID and passes its data to and from a software virtual serial port that the existing application communicates with. Here is one example, there are many:

https://www.eltima.com/products/vspdxp/