Author Topic: Spread Spectrum Clocking in USB?  (Read 8477 times)

ChongHan

Spread Spectrum Clocking in USB?
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:42 pm »
Hi

What is Spread Spectrum Clocking that using in USB?
What and How is it different to normal clock?

I know it is used for reduce EMI, but how it work on it?

Thank in advance!

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Spread Spectrum Clocking in USB?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:34:13 pm »
I'm no expert on this, but a search on

spread spectrum reduce emi

brings up this:

www.alsc.com/pdf/emi_ssc.pdf

and other writings on the topic.

Barry Twycross

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:28 pm »
I'm no expert on this either, but from general principles it makes a lot of sense, if you know a little Fourier analysis.

A standard clock is a square wave. The classic Fourier expansion of a square wave is all the odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency, the harmonics reduce in amplitude only slowly. In real life the fundamental frequency and harmonics turn into EM interference at those frequencies, ie it'll tend to radiate at those frequencies. More importantly it radiates in very narrow bands around those frequencies, so all the interference is very concentrated and the radiated power peaks strongly at those frequencies.

Spread spectrum, as its name implies spreads out the spectrum of the clock. In the time domain, a normal clock period is the same for every clock. So the first period is time t, so is the second, and the third, the periods are all t: t, t, t, t, t etc for ever. For a spread spectrum the period of the clock is different for each succeeding clock, so you have t, t+a small amount, t+ a different small amount, t + yet another small amount, etc. The link Jan linked to seemed to show the period as a sine wave, so t(n) = t(0) + d.sin(w.n) (for suitable values of d and w).

Now, Instead of being at one fundamental frequency, the clock is at a spread of frequencies. This causes the interference to be broadcast in a wider band of frequencies. If you're broadcasting the same power into a wider band, the peak power at any particular harmonic is going to be reduced. So spreading spectrum reduces the radiated interference, at the peak frequencies.

ChongHan

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
Thanks for replying.

The spread spectrum is to spread the energy in wider band..i am a bit confusing about the clock.

let's say the clock is in 40MHz periodically transmit, after modulated to 39-41MHz, the peak EMI will be reduce by spread the energy to wider band.
In here, the clock is transmit at 39-41MHz, it means that the clock freq will varies by time to time? So is it still consider periodic?

Btw, the local clock is generated by PLL in USB 3.0?