Author Topic: Problem using InpOut32.dll on Windows 7 (32-Bit)  (Read 18047 times)

cappy2112

Problem using InpOut32.dll on Windows 7 (32-Bit)
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »
We have been using Inpout32 on Wind XP (32-bit) quite successfully for several years.

Most newer PCs don't have motherboard parallel ports, but PCI & PCIe parallel ports work fine with the DLL, as long as Windows doesn't reassign the board to a
new address range on bootup (this does happen now & then). The DLL resides in C:\Windows on the WinXP system.

We are now slowly migrating to Windows 7 (32-bit), and even though I've copied InpOut32.dll to C:\Windows, the plugin parallel port does not respond to our software.
I don't get any error messages, the parallel port just doesn't respond.
Our application simply writes to the data register, nothing more.

For motherboards with built-in parallel ports, I generally make sure the BIOS is set to Legacy or Output only mode.

For plugin parallel port cards, there is no BIOS, there is simply no way to set the cards to Legacy or Output only mode, that I'm aware of.
The cards we use use the Netmos NM9805 chip, and I have downloaded the most recent driver that I can find (ver 2.0.0.18, from 2010)

Other people seem to be using Inpout32 on Windows 7 32-Bit without problems. I am at a loss as to why it doesn't work for me.

Have others had varying degrees of success with parallel port plugin cards from different manufacturers?

Would someone suggest some ways to troubleshoot this on W7?
Windows 7 is more quirky when it comes to Admin priveleges than Win XP, but I do have admin rights on the system, that isn't working with InpOut32.dll

Thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:03:32 pm by cappy2112 »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Problem using InpOut32.dll on Windows 7 (32-Bit)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:05:15 am »
If you haven't done so, try the version I suggest here:

http://www.janaxelson.com/parport.htm#Programming

Write 0 to bit 5 of the control port to be sure the data port is configured as outputs.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:21:22 am by Jan Axelson »