Author Topic: Starting over need advice  (Read 6102 times)

Kage

Starting over need advice
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »
years ago I wrote a  basic  application for communications to an RS 232 (Maxim 232CPL) chip for some test equipment I work on. Now, I no longer have the DOS 6.0 computer and I now have a 64 bit Windows 7 computer with no serial port. I recently purchased a USB to Serial cable with the FTDI drivers and it is working fine so my question is, any advice to get my basic program working with this computer.

I have an old version of Visual Basic Professional 6.0 32 bit edition from college that I used, is this something that I can use or am I going to have to invest in a more modern Visual Basic version? I have Jan's book "Serial Port Complete" but I noticed her new addition online has the USB chapters. I should probably invest in the new book  as I have no 3.5" drive to run the examples.

I've known this day was coming that my old computer was going to die and I was going to be in big trouble not being able to control my test equipment through the serial port.

Any ideas? Pardon my ignorance on this subject, its just been a long time since I've coded (over 15 years ) so I'm pretty rusty on my programming.

FYI- my first couple of lines in the Basic program were:
Also, I'm not asking for help to code but just good advice on what to buy and how to accomplish it and nor overkill the budget as I need the simplest programming package (economically) as I probably wont use it but for just this simple program. I would rather not spend $1000 for the latest visual basic package. Programming in C would also be an option as I'm about the same speed or a little better in C.

10: OPEN "COM1 : 4800 ,N,8,CS,DS,LF" FOR RANDOM AS #1
20: PRINT #1, "2" + CHR$(13)
30: INPUT "command:   "; cmd$
40: IF cmd$ = "quit" THEN 160
50: PRINT #1, cmd$

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Starting over need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:31 pm »
With the FTDI converters, you can access devices in the same way as if they had physical serial ports.

You may be able to use VB6, but I would recommend updating.

Visual Studio Express is free and supports VB, VC#, and VC++:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads

Kage

Re: Starting over need advice
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:39 pm »
Thankyou so much Jan. I downloaded the 2010 express visual basic and it was very easy to convert and run.