Author Topic: USB Enumeration Issue with ISP1582 Controller  (Read 12423 times)

sudheerg_

USB Enumeration Issue with ISP1582 Controller
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:00:39 am »
Hi,

I am using ISP1582 USB Device Controller from Philips (Now ST Ericsson).

Recently I am observing that enumeration in early stages fails with one particular PC.

I have used catalyst protocol analyzer and observed that after disconnect nothing happens.

How can I debug this what exaxtly is causing this issue. Can someone provide some help.

Thank You & Regards,
GSR

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: USB Enumeration Issue with ISP1582 Controller
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:05:03 am »
Do other identical PCs enumerate the device? If not, what is different about this PC? Try it with a hub.

Jan

sudheerg_

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »
Hi Jan Axelson,

Thank You for the reply.

There is no difference between PC configurations.

Both were running on Windows XP Professional 2002 and SP3 is installed.

I have connected a Full Speed Hub to the Non Working PC. Observed that this time enumeration is success...

Any ideas why it works when we connect a USB Hub?

Thank You & Regards,
GSR
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:29:02 am by sudheerg_ »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:55 pm »
I would look at the log from a working system to see what is the first thing the host does, where the log of the failed enumeration shows the bit stuff error.

Why did you use a full-speed (1.x) hub? Since the controller is high speed, why not a 2.0 hub? Does the device use high speed on the working systems?

Jan

sudheerg_

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:33:50 pm »
Hi Jan Axelson,

Thank you for the reply.

Basically I don't have a USB 2.0 Hub when you suggested to use Hub in between.
Today I have tried with the USB 2.0 Hub and the device enumerates with out any issues.
I will capture and share the working and non-working logs with you.
I have did the following experiment.

Force the ISP1582 controller to operate at Full Speed always. Conencted the device directly to the non-wokring PC
I have observed that the VBUS value is 5.06 V and D+ Line is showing 0V. Looks the Device is not turning on the D+ line, but when I read the register contents to Turn on D+ line it shows it is enabled.
When ISP1582 is operating at Full SPeed I have used Hub in between. USB Enumeration is success and VBUS shows 5.16V and D+ Line shows 3.0V (Don't remember the fraction). Does this means VBUS has to be more than 5.1 V for the device to work. I think the spec says 5.0 V is sufficient correct? I will share the logs when the device is working and not working.
Regards,
GSR
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:09:58 am by sudheerg_ »

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:02 am »
>Does this means VBUS has to be more than 5.1 V for the device to work.

No. See 7.2.2 in the USB 2.0 spec.

So the device always enumerates on some PCs. On other PCs, the device enumerates only with an external hub?

Jan

sudheerg_

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:30:04 am »
Hi Jan,

Yes, on some of the PC's it works with out any issues. On others if I keep a USB Hub it works.

On PC's where I am using a Hub if I connect it directly to it my observation is D+ Line doesn't go high.

Has anyone used ISP1582 Philips USB Controller (Now it is ST-Ericsson's product)?

Thank You & Regards,
GSR

Bill

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:57:50 am »
sudheerg:

We are experiencing the same issue at this point.  We believe that the older Philips or NXP do not have this issue as we have older builds that do not exhibit this problem.  I am going to initiate contact with ST on this issue to see if there is a workaround (other than using a hub).  I am working to get more information on date codes and the circuit phonomenon to post.  If you can provide any date code information on the problem parts have I would appreciate it. 

Thank you & regards,

Bill

sudheerg_

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 12:30:38 am »
Hi Bill,

Are you using WinCE OS only or anything else?

The code version we are using is 0.9 and the date is 06-06-2004.

As of now I don't have Version or Dates for the HW part. We contacted ST Ericsson, it's EOL they are saying. If you get some help and work around for this please let me know.

Thank You and Regards,
GSR

Bill

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:52:29 am »
Sudheerg:

We are using WinCE but I do not believe the issue is with the OS but with the ISP1582 itself as we have working and failing units with the same version of WinCE.  I will keep you up to date with progress and any updates from ST.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Bill