Author Topic: USB flash drives taking lot of time to respond to IN sometimes  (Read 11369 times)

Vinesh

I observe that after I write to flash drive of 512 bytes using Bulk only transport, and then Do several INs/Reads continuously, then after few hours the response of IN from pendrive(with data) is unusually slow, it pauses for over a second . After that it again works as expected.

Is it common for pendrives to pause for more than a second or so without responding for IN ?

This prolem occurs in many varities of flash drives.

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: USB flash drives taking lot of time to respond to IN sometimes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:18:58 am »
I'm not aware of this. That doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

Jan

Barry Twycross

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:14:31 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me. A flash filing system has to occasionally do housekeeping tasks (erasing old blocks etc), which can take a while.

Bret

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:45:18 pm »
If the tests are always being done on the same computer, it's possible it's a host controller issue.  I have an older laptop that periodically receives Master Abort signals from the PCI bus hardware, which forces a hard reset of the host controller.  Of course, this forces re-enumeration of all attached devices, which usually takes a few seconds.

Vinesh

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:20:50 am »
Barry,
How much time it takes for house keeping tasks of flash file system to be done, any pointers or idea will be helpful in this regard.

Vinesh

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:09:28 pm »
How much time it takes for house keeping tasks of flash file system to be done ?

ANY answers/pointers will be helpful

Bret

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »
I've never seen any data on the actual times involved, but the word search I think you need to start with is Static Wear Leveling.