Author Topic: Device Descriptions and Drivers  (Read 9024 times)

vanweric

Device Descriptions and Drivers
« on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »
I am working with a home-grown HID device, and I have a few questions on the description fields.

In the Device Manager, it is currently listed under Human Interface Devices.  Is it possible to pull this into its own group without installing my own driver? 

I'd like the user to be able to assign a friendly name to the device that I can display during enumeration, before actually connecting.  What field should I use for this?  I'd like to be sure that windows doesn't hold on to stale device descriptions that only differ by these names.  My understanding/hope is that it makes that decision based on the Serial Number, which is invariant for the life of the instance of the product.

Thanks!
 - Eric

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: Device Descriptions and Drivers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:22:21 pm by Jan Axelson »

vanweric

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:19:17 pm »
Thanks Jan

If I understand that thread (and the links and search terms from it) correctly, installing an inf file will allow me to change how the device appears in the Device Manager.  Without that, I am stuck as Human Interface Devices -> USB Input Device regardless of what I return in my device descriptor.  Does this match your understanding?

I'm still confused on the second half of my question.  What happens if I change the product string of an attached, installed and enumerated device?  Will this cause the Host to view it as a new device?

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »
Yes.

No. A new Product ID makes it a new device.

Jan