Author Topic: Best USB transfer type for an embedded image processing device to interface a PC  (Read 9067 times)

davandrei

Hello everyone

i'm developing an embedded image processing system with a 360 degrees camera, it is for motion detection. I'm still considering the possibility of using a FPGA (or similiar) or a DSP. Additionally i need to store all the information that is been processed in a removable hard disk drive for registry purposes, for what i'm using an old PC with USB 2.0 host. Here is where my problem lies, because i need to guarantee a constant transfer rate, about 20 MBytes/s doing some calculus could be less, in order to store all the information from the image processing device in the PC. this is why i m interested in isochronous transfers. here are my questions

Is it possible to reach the transfer speed of 20 MB/s by isochronous transfers? or should i consider other type of transfer?
Is there a Class device with a driver (Windows or Linux) that i can use for this purposes or similar.? If not, is it feasible to create a driver for this? which tools do you recommend?

Thanks for your help, and sorry about my english

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Take a look at the video class, which also supports still images. Theoretical maximum throughput for high-speed isochronous transfers is 24.576 MB/sec. Actual performance depends on the host's capabilities. Plus if the host system has other devices that need bandwidth, the host might refuse to allocate the bandwidth.

You may get greater throughput, but no guarantees, with bulk.

Another option is SuperSpeed (USB 3.0).

Jan

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:27:56 am by Jan Axelson »