Author Topic: FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2-32) trouble  (Read 9196 times)

ssssssara

FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2-32) trouble
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:43:20 am »
Hi,
Does anyone out there has any experience in programming a FTDI VNC2? I have a Development Module (http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_V2DIP1-32.pdf) which gives me headache...

I've managed to make an application where I can connect a USB keyboard to the FTDI DM and with the keyboard control a RS232 output. So far so good. But now I want to make another application where I can connect a USB memory stick and read files from this. I've partly followed an example from http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_151%20Vinculum%20II%20User%20Guide.pdf. When the execution reaches this function call:
Code: [Select]
vos_dev_ioctl(hBoms, &boms_iocb);it freezes. The function never returns. I have no idea why. What could possibly make this function never return?

I know this is a very specific question that probably no one can give me any straight answer to, but I have to try... Maybe someone can give me a push in the right direction how to move forward in the troubleshooting... I've attached my code.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
Re: FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2-32) trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:14:49 am »
Just some general suggestions.

If the provided example works and includes that function call, start with that and slowly make changes.

A hardware protocol analyzer will show what is happening on the bus and may offer clues

Have you seen John Hyde's free ebook on the Vinculum:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalPublications/USBDesignByExample.htm

mafugere

• Fugere Technology Solutions - Embedded Systems Consulting
Re: FTDI Vinculum 2 (VNC2-32) trouble
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »

Hello,

I realize that I am new here, and this is an old thread.  But, if you are still working on issues with this, perhaps we may be able to help each other.  I'm migrating a product from using a Vinculum-1 to a Vinculum-2 (we only use the Vinculum chips as USB Host controllers and for FAT support so we can do automated firmware upgrades from flash drives on our industrial controller).    I am also encountering some issues which seem to be related to thread execution and/or blocking behavior pertaining to the "invisible" and thinly documented functions of the Vinculum-2 OS.

While I have not seen the exact occurrence which the OP inquires about above, I have observed what I can basically say is a complete ignoring of FIFO/comms/command services while the Vinculum-2 is apparently engaged in trying to enumerate, connect and load the FAT table from various drives.   I am working on ways to try to mitigate the impact of these on the host communications side, and also try to find a way to have better visibility into some of the FAT related system, to deal with mysterious issues with file command processing.