Author Topic: Read text content off RS232 port through a PC's USB port  (Read 10476 times)

retailer

Read text content off RS232 port through a PC's USB port
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:13 am »
I’ve a PC which needs to read text content off a RS232 port of an industrial device connected to a printer.
I’m wondering a solution wherein I can connect a converter to read off the data and show it on the PC which only has USB host port support only?
Essentially it’s a RS232 to USB conversion, so that I can read off the text content available at the RS232 port off a virtual com usb port on the PC side to collect the text stream and show it on the PC.
Is there a converter that can do RS232 to USB, so that I can connect RS232 cable from industrial device to this converter and USB cable from this converter to USB port of a PC?

Guido Koerber

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Read text content off RS232 port through a PC's USB port
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:27:48 am »
Yes, USB to serial converters are among the oldest USB products that are around.

retailer

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:06:48 am »
Sorry, does this mean that I can get a USB to Serial cable which by your reply indicates can work bidirectional. Hence data can be read both ways in both ports without any issues?

Jan Axelson

• Administrator
  • Frequent Contributor
    • Lakeview Research
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:30 am »
Yes, you need a cable that contains a converter. They're available widely. Search on

USB Serial Adapter

Jan